Thursday, November 17, 2011

After Dinner

Holy Mother of God, things are worse than I imagined. Short version is that Marie and I were attacked on our walk after dinner tonight and she's now in the hospital.

The longer version goes something like this: Aunt Marie and I were talking about her cancer when she became very serious and told me that there were things about our family that I didn't know. Then she asked me if I'd been seeing strange things and then she started rambling about how it was all starting too fast and how it was when it happened to her - I was extremely confused.

"The misfortune of our family is already passing to you," she said. I had no idea what she was talking about. Then she told me to end my relationship with Juliette if I wanted her to be safe.

But then everything got very still. She said that he was there and I could barely ask who he was before she pulled a dagger out of her cane. "Hulda," she said to me, and then we proceeded to be attacked by a man with a scythe.

The man struggled with Marie for a while, but I knocked him down and when he got up to go after Marie, I shot him. Many times. The first time I ever shot a man, he was attacking the only family I had left. And he had the face of, I don't even know what kind of face. After I shot him, the face went away to reveal the face of a man, just like the faces I saw before.

I ran over to check on Aunt Marie, who was laying on the ground. She asked me if I'd killed him and told me she had thought she'd lost him a long time ago. "They're after me," she said. Then she took her necklace off and told me never to lose it, guard it with my life because they'll be looking for it. And on top of all of this, Marie told me that my parents hadn't died in a car crash - they'd been killed.

This was all so much to take in, I didn't know what to do.

Juliette had called the cops when she heard gunfire, so the blue and whites showed up soon after, along with an ambulance for Marie. I told the story to Hank and told him that I had no choice but to shoot the guy and Hank said he'd take care of it while I went to the hospital with Aunt Marie.

When she was finally conscious, she asked me if I saw who Hulda really was, and I wasn't really sure. Aunt Marie then went on to tell me how we have the ability to see things that nobody else can, we see them for what they really are. I told her she needed some rest and she looked me dead in the eye and said that the stories were real. I am one of the last Grimms.

She wished she had more time, but she said everything was in her trailer - which I didn't even know she owned - and that there was still so much I didn't know. I tried to ask her about my parents, but all she said was that I was vulnerable now, that I needed to be careful, and to never lose what she gave me.

I'm assuming she meant the necklace she handed me after the attack. I took a closer look at it as I was leaving the hospital, and it looked like it might be a small key.

I returned to the precinct and went to work on translating the inscription on the scythe that Hulda used to attack Marie. I couldn't stop thinking about the things I had been seeing, the faces that kept appearing when Hank clapped me on the back and asked me about my progress. It said "Reapers of the Grimms."

Hank then told me what he'd dug up on Hulda. He was wanted, under a different name, for assault, rape, and murder in Chicago, with warrants in Florida and Alabama. I wasn't so sure. "Don't let the comb-over throw you, this was a bad guy," said Hank.

The Captain wants me to see the police psychologist because of my first shooting. Maybe I need to see him for more than just that with all this Grimm stuff going on...

No comments:

Post a Comment